Note: This is a post about the days 13 and 14 of the Thirty Days of Focus, see the introductory post for more details.
It looks like I’ve got somewhat stuck. And it’s not a nice thing to admit. One of the reasons is that I feel somewhat physically unwell and stressed these days, thus I am getting irritated easily and nothing seems to go right. I see it in all of the activities, and in this challenge it appears as well: whatever I try to do, it does not sound good.
From the other side, there is this feeling that I noticed a few days ago: the variance between parts is quite high, they don’t easily fit together. What I have been trying to do is to keep intact as much information as possible, in the best case just adding a few bars to link them together. But at some moment, it stopped working.
The place of action: section C.
That’s how it looked by the end of day 11, when I had been working on the part immediately before it:
I didn’t like the bar 5 (the last in the first line), and overall it was not totally well-rounded and shaped, but it sounded good. By itself.
As the part before it were an octave lower, I decided to transpose the first part of it on day 12. Then I also noticed similarities with section A, and decided to bring some ideas over here (I really wanted to change that fifth bar). That’s how the result looked like:
At this moment, first eight bars (aligned to section A) sound good, much better than before… But as a whole, the section has become inconsistent, and its second part feels out of place, like a weird attempt of connecting to the following section.
On day 13 (unpublished) I approach the task far after midnight. I make an attempt to bring the feelings of preceding part into this section, and then try to resolve the situation within the section… it does not work out:
Finally, on day 14 I decide to tackle the mess left from the previous day…
First, I try to resolve what is. I get an interestingly sounding couple of bars, but it does not work out for linking what I have here. I remove that conflicting part and look on ahead.
I notice that section D is also out-of-place where it is, and try to move it up here to the end of what is left. Then again, it is in a different octave – I decide to transpose. But afterwards, this move does not work out, because the melody conveys very different feelings in C and in D. Dissatisfied, I am adding some chords, and throwing out that modified D part. This is what stays:
Tomorrow I will probably revert to the state of day 12 (or even day 11), and try to take another route from there.