Note: This is a post about the day 19 of the Thirty Days of Focus, see the introductory post for more details.
Today, I continued the efforts on cleaning up the composition. When listening to GuitarPro playing the piece before the work session, I noticed a few weak, unjustified places. But even more of my attention was caught by a feeling of disconnectedness. I learned recently that a musical piece is quite similar to telling a story with words in a natural language. Consequently, even if there could be multiple scenes taking place in a complex story, there should nevertheless be an over-arching, all-encompassing topic to the whole. And that was lacking in my work: even that there were some links between parts, it did not feel like coming home at all.
However, when I looked at those weaker places, I noticed that they were concerned with linking to the previous parts of the composition: section C referred to section A, and section F was repeating the first part of section B. And there was more up there in the previous sections to bring over here. The new stuff replaced the repetition of section C, and made section F even closer to section B.
On another note, I left away first E section. At the moment, it seems to sound better to go from the updated F directly to the final “E Outro-2”.
Here’s the result: day 19 score.
I still feel unclear about the melodic part which now rests at the very beginning of the piece. We’ll see, but I would guess that I either modify it, extend it or remove it altogether.
- Listened to the synthesized sound of the score and took notes of the places that could be improved and about my general impressions about the piece (that’s actually how I have been starting many days, not just this one).
- As I started to look for the ways of improvement, I noticed that the parts that needed improvement were actually referring to the earlier ones, but not fully, so I extended the reference – and this act improved the general feeling about the piece as well.
- Removed a part that seemed redundant.