Note: This is a post about the day 8 of the Thirty Days of Focus, see the introductory post for more details.
As the score continues to grow, I am having more and more doubts that sharing it in the form of images is a good enough way to do it… But honestly, I am having doubts about everything. And if I focus too much on the doubts, then nothing gets shared at all. Which is definitely not a good way.
Today, I finally turned that incomplete section C into something that I can bear for now. At that moment, I listened through the whole composition in Guitar Pro and my impression was not the best one: it sounded quite a lot like a few unrelated (though in the same key) pieces patched together. I wonder whether I can combine them into a single story, or they will still be more like a collection of short stories when I finish… I don’t know the answer at the moment, but that’s something to be aware of as I am working on it.
Keeping that in mind, I looked attentively at section A which had an outlying 4-4 time and noticed a possibility of switching it to 6-8. Which I did :) Even while most of the notes were left in place, the accents moved around a bit to accommodate new stronger and weaker beats. Here’s how the score looks now:
Next, I turned back to the task which I started on the day 5, namely writing the basic drums to support the melodic part. Again, I’m not sure what could be a really good way to share the result, so for now I will just put the current version of a synthesized drum track as an audio:
Let’s recap day 8:
- I made another attempt at bringing the troubling section to a better state – this time it seems to have worked for now :)
- I decided to simplify/unify the composition even more by abandoning the 4/4 time in the intro section and turning that section into the 6/8 time – it could be split into triplets pretty naturally.
- I returned to the task that actually initiated the edit of the melody: writing a basic supporting drums track.