Note: This is a post about the day 6 of the Thirty Days of Focus, see the introductory post for more details.
Phew, that was a close one… Today, I have survived an attack of perfectionism!
Yesterday, I noticed a few places with an odd number of measures, which was sounding quite unnatural (and not in a good way). By the time I finished yesterday, I still had two gaps left, marked with “add something”, and today I started from those places.
The insertion into the gap in yesterday’s section D (today’s “E Outro-1”) worked well. At the same time, new measures in section C rendered the rest of the section boring and caught me up into rewriting a huge part of it… which did not work out in the end. After several fruitless attempts to resolve the situation, I took section C out, completed working on other sections, and then inserted back the previous version.
One of the points that attracted my attention today was to ensure that the sections are more or less self-contained and to clean up the transitions between them. This process caused me to extract the second part of section D to a separate section, now called “E Outro-1”, because its start sounded exactly as the start of section E (now “E Outro-2”). Section B lost its first measure as it connected well from section A.
I also removed one cycle in the later part of section B, to make it more well-rounded.
After the corrections, the rest of the section D no longer needed the 9-8 time signature, so the score was simplified to have the 6-8 time (except the 4-4 time in the intro). Also, sections E seem to be the only ones having distinct upbeat, the extra notes at the end of other sections serve just to connect them together, but are not essential.
Currently, section C sounds incomplete as it reaches the midpoint – after all, there was a gap before it. But I am leaving it for tomorrow.
Recap of the day 6:
- Driven by perfectionism, I totally messed up section C while “filling in the gaps” there. I had to revert to the previous version – it is good that I create a new file for each day of the challenge (otherwise, I could also use a version control system like Subversion or Git).
- I got curious if I can make the sections self-contained. Among other things, it resulted in extraction of a new section, which received the name of “E Outro-1” (previous section E received the name “E Outro-2”).
- I cleaned up the transitions between sections.
- I noticed that after all the changes, section D no longer needed the 9-8 time, and switched it back to the 6-8 time.