Note: This is a post about the day 3 of the Thirty Days of Focus, see the introductory post for more details.
Today, I have spent some time with the guitar as a way to check (and correct) the new part transcribed yesterday. It seems that with the help of the original instrumental setup I have found a better match for the fast downward progression.
Next up were a few phrases sounding quite similar to things I had already transcribed. In the GarageBand video project, I named them according to those phrases to which they were similar: AI’, AII’, outII’, BI’, BII’ – but that is mostly for my own reference. In the score, I only mark the days. Plus, these sections are not the exact duplicates.
As I have already mentioned (yesterday), the actual lengths of the notes are more different than I’m writing them. For now, I’m using eighth notes for all the fast parts and mostly whole notes/half notes for the notes that stand out longer, also trying to keep the stronger notes on stronger beats. I decided that it is more important to capture the musical idea now and not the precise performance, as I will probably edit the score after I’m done transcribing the performance and switch over to the extending/composing phase.
Recap of the day 3:
- I listened to yesterday’s part with the guitar and searched for a better match with the instrument in hands (and the one which sounded as on the video).
- I noticed the similarity between new parts and the phrases already transscribed, and used the knowledge gained back then to make the work easier.
- I decided to pay attention to capturing the musical idea closely, while not necessarily creating the perfect transcription for the recorded performance.