Yesterday I announced the start of the 30 days of focus. Before I jump on into describing what I have done today, let’s briefly mention the tools I use. There’s just a few of them:
- Arobas Music Guitar Pro 6 – this is the software I use for creating the scores. It’s quite a powerful program which allows to create high-quality scores for various instruments, and also to get an idea on how they would sound like – a few of my demos were generated with GP6 (one, two).
- Apple GarageBand, currently at version 10.0, which comes preinstalled with Apple Macintosh and MacBook computers. For me, the main focus of Garage Band (which is, essentially, a Digital Audio Workstation) is on recording live and software instruments, sometimes adding pre-recorded loops and mixing a natural-sounding composition.
- An electric guitar with an amplifier. Coming more from the instrumental side than from the music theory side, it is much easier for me to transcribe music by actually playing it. This would be also a source for composing new parts later, and the original video is a good example of that.
- Apogee Jam – this is an audio interface to record the live guitar sound. It comes with a nice feature of being able to plug in both to the Mac via USB as well as to the iPad via the iPod dock connector.
Of course, when I took a guitar and checked how the score sounded live against the video, it was not correct… not fully. But a few important moment were in there:
- Tempo of 160 beats per minute with 4/4 time signature worked well for the faster bars 1 and 3.
- I put a whole note in the bar 2, while in the video it is a half note. I checked both options for bars 2 and 4, with whole notes it sounds better
- Last but not least, I actually had something to pick up and I had the video at hand as well.
So I took the score, corrected the two phrases in the first four bars and transcribed the third one. At this point, I became annoyed with the video playing software. It just was not designed to loop a tiny regions over and over again, and do it precisely.
At that moment I remembered that GarageBand was mentioning something about scoring the movies, so I created a new project and inserted the video there – it went smoothly. Now, I was able to select a precise region for the loop, and also to name the parts of the track in case I would like to return to them later. Here’s how the setup looked like:
Then, I went on and recorded me playing the transcribed part. For today, I chose an amp with a very strong echo (aka “Reversal of Fortune”) from the GarageBand amp collection. So, that’s how I sound at the moment:
Let’s quickly recap how the day 1 looked like:
- I checked the results from yesterday, corrected them and continued the work on transcribing
- I realized that there is a possibility of a (much) more efficient playing parts of the video from Garage Band project, so I went on and implemented the setup.
- I got my score to 12 bars (about 17 seconds).
- I practiced and recorded the current part.
Looking forward to the Day 2 :)